28.8 C
Kampala
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • NEWS
  • Mao Proposes One-Year Military Training Scheme for Secondary, Tertiary Students
NEWS

Mao Proposes One-Year Military Training Scheme for Secondary, Tertiary Students

By Ellijah Khisa

The Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs, Nobert Mao, has said the government could consider allowing post-primary students interested in joining the army to take a one-year paid leave from their studies to undergo military training.

Mao said the proposal would be aimed at strengthening the professional capabilities of the Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) as modern warfare continues to evolve.

He made the remarks on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, while officiating at the passing-out ceremony of 1,350 Patriotism Club students at Namilyango College in Seeta, Mukono District.

Mao said warfare has undergone significant transformation over the years, evolving from the use of bows and arrows, spears and guns to tanks, artillery, fighter aircraft, drones and, increasingly, artificial intelligence-powered systems.

“In my opinion, the government should consider a position where students in secondary schools, colleges and tertiary institutions who desire to join the army are allowed one year off to undertake comprehensive military training and later return to resume their studies,” Mao said.

He added that after completing their studies, those who had undergone the training could proceed to cadet officer training and eventually serve as professional soldiers in emerging and advanced military disciplines.

“We are going to seek an audience with the Ministries of Defence and Education, as well as the Chief of Defence Forces, to come up with a Cabinet paper to effect this policy,” Mao said.

Mao congratulated the students for sacrificing their time and energy to undertake the week-long training, saying the programme would help them become responsible citizens who respect their country and its laws.

The Assistant Commissioner in the National Patriotism Corps Secretariat in the Office of the President, Richard Owaruhanga, encouraged parents to discuss with their children the values taught through patriotism programmes when such activities are introduced in their schools.

Owaruhanga said the programme had so far trained more than one million students since its inception in 2009, describing it as an initiative of President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni.

The Mukono District Resident District Commissioner, Hajjati Ndibasa Fatuma, who was represented by Assistant RDC Hassan Mwanje, said the government would continue working to extend patriotism programmes to educational institutions across the country.

She said such programmes were important because students are the future leaders of society.

Ndibasa commended Namilyango College Headmaster Mpuuga Constantine Sajabbi and the board of governors for supporting the initiative, saying it had equipped students with skills in self-defence, discipline, teamwork and responsibility.

The National Patriotism Corps regional coordinator for Mukono District, Julius Yekosofeti Mukwanya, said Namilyango College had presented the largest number of students for patriotism training in the district.

He said the achievement deserved recognition from the relevant stakeholders.

College headmaster Mpuuga Constantine Sajabbi congratulated the students for putting up an outstanding performance during the one-week training, saying the programme had equipped them with relevant knowledge and skills.

He said the training had encouraged the students to love their country, respect others and embrace values such as honesty, integrity and the fear of God.

Mpuuga thanked the government, through the Ministry of Education and Sports, the Patriotism Secretariat and Mukono District leadership, for the technical support provided, including deploying instructors who imparted knowledge and skills to the students.

Related posts

Police arrests Bobi Wine’s new campaign team

Admin

It was illegal, Muhakanizi distances self from Shs10.6 billion compensation funds

Admin

Parliament summons Kampala Minister over potholes in city roads

Admin

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy