20.6 C
Kampala
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • NEWS
  • Businessman Kalungi survives being lynched over land grabbing accusations
NEWS

Businessman Kalungi survives being lynched over land grabbing accusations

By Mukembo Wilfred

Kampala businessman Moses Kalungi has survived after an angry exchange over accusations of land grabbing degenerated into a fight with a family at Kasambya Cell, Busukuma Division in Wakiso District.

It started when Kalungi hired goons who came and failed a scheduled boundary opening exercise by the Wakiso District Staff Surveyor James Wamala who had been invited by Police to establish the right boundary between two worrying parties.

The family of the late Kitamirike Sebinene accuses Kalungi of taking possession of their 2.5-acre land without following the due process of the law.

Members of the family of the late Kitamirike Sebinene allege that Kalungi who owns land in their neighbourhood has since extended the boundary into their land without their knowledge and or consent.

Milly Namuswe, daughter to the deceased explained that they have been battling with the businessman since 2000 who uses violence in a vain attempt to evict them from their ancestral land.

“Our father (late Sebinene) had 25 acres which was bequeathed to him by our great grandfather Yosan Mbaziira Kitamirike. However, upon his death, our elder brother, Jaccob Musajjalumbwa Kitamirike sold out the bigger portion leaving us with only 2.5 acres for which we have a land title,” Namuswe narrated.

However, a tearfully looking Namuswe narrated that they are surprised that Kalungi is claiming their portion and that he has since used graders to clear and level our area in order to develop without ownership.

“We think that Kalungi is above the law because he hires goons to terrorize us day and night and uses violence even to grab this piece where our graveyard is. We thank our local leaders for helping us to restore calm, even though we are still demanding justice,” Namuswe appealed.

The land in dispute is on Block 185 plot 158B situated at Kasambya Cell, Namulonge Parish in Busukuma Division, Wakiso District.

Namuswe’s outcry followed a bitter exchange between the family and Kalungi with his team who were calmed down by village local leaders led by Vice chairperson, Moses Bakulu.

The exchange resulted from disagreements on the boundary opening by the District Staff Surveyor, James Wamala to determine the size of land owned by each party.

In a separate interview, Kalungi denied any wrongdoing but insisted that he owns the entire land and that he has since obtained a court order.

“When they came to open the boundaries, they did not consult me as a neighbour and they graded their land and extended into my side which forced me to fence off my land,” said Kalungi adding that his land title is too old for it not to be reflected in the digital system.

Kalungi said that they agreed to carry out another joint boundary opening in order to solve the dispute.  

John Kiwungulo, who came in to help the family asked Kalungi to desist from violence against his neighbours but instead follow the law and order as required.

“He (Kalungi) calls himself a lawyer and he comes threatening everyone in the village but we are saying let the law take its course,” Kiwungulo said.

When contacted, Bakulu said that they received a notice from Police inviting them for a boundary opening exercise to solve a pending dispute between the two parties but they were surprised to see goons brought by Kalungi.

According to Bakulu, at the time of starting the survey, neither Kalungi nor his surveyors were on ground and upon inquiring from his caretaker, they were told to wait.  

“Kalungi’s caretaker told us to wait for him because he was on the way coming but to our surprise instead of starting the survey work, Kalungi embarked on trading accusations against the family which degenerated into violence thereby failing the exercise,” Bakulu said

Bakulu called for calm between the two parties and promised that as leaders, they would ensure that the dispute is settled amicably and without any delay.

Kalungi is not new to controversies regarding land disputes as he is embroiled in other land disputes.

He is embroiled in a court battle with the family of the late Dr Muhammad Buule Kasasa over ownership of a building in Mengo, Rubaga Division.

The High Court Land Division has since issued a temporary order to maintain the status quo thereby restraining Kalungi and his employees from interfering with the disputed property until final determination of the case.

Related posts

Uganda Management institute, UBC boss corruption and academic fraud scandal further escalates

Admin

Expedite probe into Kasese school attack- Speaker Among to gov’t

Admin

Gen. Salim Saleh Appoints Dusman Okee as His Official Spokesperson

Admin

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy